Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Final pre-assessment appointment - Dental Clinic

*** Disclaimer:

Sorry to anyone reading my blog posts at the moment - they're going to be extremely boring, but I'm writing this for my own benefit to keep a record of the process. Sort of like a diary.


The Dental Clinic was closed when I was in hospital last week, so I had to go back today for one last appointment as part of the transplant pre-assessment.

I'm pretty good at making sure that I go to the dentist every six months for a check up and a professional clean, so I was pretty confident that they wouldn't find any pre-exisiting dental problems which would need to be fixed prior to a transplant.

They did all the normal checks that the dentist does, and made a list of any work that had been done, and the current condition of each and every tooth.

Then they took x-rays of the three pre-existing root canals to make sure that they were in good condition and had been treated adequately. One of these root canals was only done a couple of years ago and cost around $2000, so I was going to go back to the Endodonttist and ask for a refund if it wasn't any good!

Once all that was finished, they put up the three little root canal x-rays and the x-ray of my jaw and teeth from last weeks tests on the screen together. Teeth look even uglier and more crooked on x-rays.... but thank goodness, they couldn't see any problems.

The only other thing that they spoke about was the need to be on antibiotics before having any dental treatment. I'm assuming this is as a preventative measure? I'm already on prophylactic antibiotics 24/7 anyway due to the hypogammaglobulinemia so I don't think this will be a problem.


So the good news at the end of the dentail clinic is that I can just stick to my current routine - see my own dentist every six months for a check up and a scale and clean. Phew!

2 comments:

Leonie said...

Nice! And I'm sure it's a relief to know you are doing good in that regard.

sophie said...

YAY!! Eva needs antibiotics after a dental visit, infections from the mouth travel fast to the heart and can cause valve problems. Maybe that's why?