Friday, November 16, 2012

Another day another false alarm

Today started off like any other day.

I had big plans to actually get out of bed on time, head to Pulmonary Rehab and then go and meet Carly for lunch.

The alarm went off at 8AM and I remember hitting snooze at least three times.

At 8.41AM my mobile phone rang, and it was a mobile number calling me. I assumed it was the cabinetmaker as I'm finally getting my disability kitchen mods after two years of waiting.
It was actually one of the Transplant Co-Ordinators.

They had some donor lungs that were a match and they couldn't say whether I would get a transplant today, but it was a possibility and I should prepare and they'd call me back. Luckily I was still asleep and hadn't had breakfast at that stage, although I was allowed to drink half a cup of coffee.

So I went through the drill - nebs, shower, disinfect, clean clothes, and wait for another call.

At 10.08AM they called back and were still unsure whether it would go ahead but needed me to come into hospital just in case.

We went through the first bits of prep / paperwork / bloods etc and were just about to do an ECG, when at about 12.50PM I was told that it wasn't going ahead today.

There was another lady who was also a perfect match for the donor who is in dire need of a transplant right now to save her life. I hope she pulls through, and I hope the third time will be the one for me.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no, I can't even imagine what it must be like to go through false alarms like this!! Hope you get good news soon!!

Leonie said...

So sorry it wasn't your turn this time. Happy for the other lady's family, not so happy for you :-(

Hang in there, we're rooting for you!

Megan said...

Oh, how disappointing for you having yet another false alarm. Thank goodness it didn't progress as far as the last one. I will definitely be repeating the third time lucky mantra for you over the coming weeks. Because I am also hoping for this next time to only be measured in weeks rather than months.

*hugs*

(Great news for the other lady too)

Jennie said...

What a rollercoaster for you Cam.
I am so glad they made a decision before they put the needles in your back this time though. Hugest of hugs to you today. I hope hope hope you get another call very soon and that the other lady pulls through okay. XXXXJ

willywagtail said...

So, so sorry. It must be a horrible feeling after all that prep to be told that it won't be happening. Cherrie

Fiona said...

Oh my goodness! So sorry it didn't work out for you this time, but I'm very happy for the other lady.

I bet you're glad you didn't get as far through the prep this time. Fingers crossed that next time you get the call that the op goes ahead.

Michelle said...

Oh Cam. I'm heartbroken for you. But happy for the other lady. But still - heartbroken because I know and love you and want you to get your new and improved lungs soon. xxxxx

teddybearswednesday said...

OH Cam, so much ups and downs, so much to handle, I'm so sorry it wasn't your time.though I too am glad like Jennie at least they didn't stick any needles before changing their mind.
Your amazing being so generous in your thoughts for the lady and her family who got them. You are amazing.
And fingers and toes crossed it's 3rd time lucky ( which if any consulation always works for me ) xoxo

Sally said...

I am so disappointed for you...fingers crossed third time's a charm.

Ren said...

I'm so sorry to hear you had another false alarm.
I feel happy for the other lady, but really, really wish it was you. I hope your time is soon.

xxx

Unknown said...

I just came in to see how you were going after learning of Coen's news.

I am really sorry that you've had another false alarm. I hope you have better luck next time. x

Carly Findlay said...

When you told me you couldn't make it in, because there was a chance, I was quietly happy. When you tested me the news, I cried. I hope the call - and the match - comes soon. And I do hope the lady in need of a donor made,it too.